About the Department of Pharmaceutics
The department of pharmaceutics is one of the key departments of the Institute. It is equipped with state of the art facilities to undertake research in drug development and delivery. Recently, the department has initiated research on Polymeric Biomaterials and Nanotechnology. In the frontier area of Nanotchnology research, the focus will be for synthesis and characterization of nanotechnology based drug delivery systems to achieve targeting at desired site. To strengthen our research potential, polymeric biomaterials will be utilized to prepare effective carriers to deliver the drugs at diseases targets and effort will be taken to initiate applications of such carriers in effective management of diseases like cancer, tuberculosis, alzimer, HIV.
The Department of Pharmaceutics is a place where team work and commitment to excellence in academia, research and development is demonstrated through productivity and success of our faculty and students. We continue to stride out with times and our program focuses on expanding the scientific avenues for improving the delivery of drugs and therapeutic agents. We provide a training environment that includes Pilot plant laboratory developed as cGMP considerations,saphosticated instrumentation and technologies supervised by experienced teachers and dedicated staffs.
The Department of Pharmaceutics, established in 2005 having intake of 36 students. The department is equipped with the state of art laboratories including pilot plant laboratory and Class 10000 aseptic area which are true replica of industrial set up, ultra-modern facilities and competitive staff which have been considered as most sophisticated infrastructure in the country. In addition, the department has computational facility for designing of experiment. The department also offers training for research students seeking PhD degree. The department is being headed by Dr H.S.Mahajan who is receipient of prestigious RESEARCH AWARD from University Grant Comission, New Delhi. More than 20 Faculty members with M Pharm qualifications were also in the staff of the department. Most of them completed and remaining are persuing their Ph D.
The focused research areas of the department are,
Formulation development of various conventional dosage forms
• Coated & Uncoated Tablets
• Dispersible Tablets
• Chewable Tablets
• Hard & Soft Gelatin Capsules
• Small and Large Volume Parenterals
• Liquid Orals
• Ointments / Creams
• Dry Mixtures.
• Strile Products (Opthalmics and Injectables)
Development of Novel Dosage Forms is possible using following technologies:
• Matrix and Diffusion
• Controlled Drug Release
• Osmotic Delivery
• Powder Coating
• Extrusions Spheronization
• Air Suspension Coating
• Multilayered Tablets.
Nanotechnology based formulations
• Solid lipid Nanoparticles
• Nanostructured Lipid Carriers
• Polymeric nanoparticles
Development of biomaterials
• Isolation and characterization of biomaterials
• Chemical modification viz thiolation, methylation, co-polymerization
• Development of novel pharmaceutical excipients using natural materials.
The department undertakes research projects costing more than 1 Cr rupees from various government as well as private funding agencies including AICTE, UGC, DST, DBT, North Maharashtra University. These research grants helped the department in modernizing the labs with sophisticated instruments and working area as well. These grants also supported many research scholars and staff members for pursuing their PhDs. The sophisticated instruments procured through the research grants have helped them to do the research of high repute and the same has been published as articles in journals of high impact factor. About 200+ publications are there to the department credit. The department has organized three National Conferences and Faculty Development Program. The department has marked its importance in research activities and IPR by having 3 patents in the area of drug delivery. It has set up research collaborations within the university, with other universities and companies within India. Academic and research excellence is achieved by industrial training, interaction with expertise and organizing seminars and conferences to meet the current requirements of pharmaceutical Industries, academics and regulatory bodies. The department also has excellent placement record. A strong aluimni group comprising more than 300+ pass out students ready to do needful to place their juniors.
- Development and evaluation of Nasal Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System
- Studies of Gastro Retentive Dosage form for Eradication of H. Pylori
- Formulation and Evaluation of Pulsatile Drug Delivery System
- Development of Novel Nanocarriers for nose to brain Drug delivery
- Preparation and evaluation of rectal /vaginal drug delivery for prevention of HIV.
- Development of novel lipid based nano-formulation of some Bioactive Polyphenols for the synergistic prophylactic treatment of cervical cancer.
- Design and Evaluation of Extended Release Pellets for Chronotherapy of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Noninvasive Nanoparticles Based Buccal Drug Delivery System for Oral Cancer Treatment.
- Design ,Development and evaluation of Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery System for Poorly Water Soluble Drug.
- Software Assited Design,Development Optimization and Characterization of lipidic Nanoparticle Drug Delivery System for enhancement of Solubility.
- Formulation and evaluation of liquid crystals Based Drug Delivery System.
- Design, Development and characterization of floating drug delivery system for biphasic release: Estimation of Shelf Life
- Development of Methotrexate Nanostructured Lipid Carriers for Topical treatement of Psoriasis : Optimisation, evaluation and Clinical studies
- Development of Polymeric Micelles for Brain-Tumor Targeting Through Nose.
- Development Of Nanoemulsion Based Nose To Brain Delivery System Of Bioactive Phytophenols For Effective Treatment Of Brain Cancer
The staff members of the department are also having different roles such as reviewer of the journals and funding agencies, editorial board member of the journals, editor/ author for the textbooks, guest speaker, chairman/ evaluator/ convener/ co-ordinator in the seminars/ conferences. In the recent past, the department provided consultancy to neighbouring industry and academic institues.
Development and evaluation of -
- Multi-particulate Drug Delivery Systems
- Sustained Release Dosage Forms
- Immediate release dosage forms
- Ocular Drug Delivery Systems
- Nasal Drug Delivery Systems
- Buccal Drug Delivery Systems
- Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems (including iontophoresis and sonophoresis)
- Semisolid dosage forms
- Nanopharmaceuticals (nanoparticles, liposomes, solid lipid nanoparticles, dendrimers, etc).
- Cosmeticeuticals and Neutraceuticals
The program M.Pharm Pharmaceutics have been planned to cater to the ever increasing demands of the pharmaceutical industry, research organizations and academic institutions with special emphasis in the area of formulation development.
This program was introduced in 2005. The course content is methodically structured and designed to prepare the students for a career in pharmaceutical industry and to continue research activities in various pharma avenues including higher studies. The program provides various opportunities to the students to participate in R & D projects and to develop the research skills.
Scope of the Program
M.Pharm Pharmaceutics is an evergreen field. The vast potential content of course empowers students to excel and provides a lot of scope in getting the placement. The alumni of program are placed in reputed pharma companies, research laboratories and academic institutions worldwide. Campus recruitments are held annually and there is almost 100% placement every year for M.Pharm (Pharmaceutics).
Following are different areas such as production/ manufacturing, validation aspects, technology transfer, process development, formulation development, generic product development, Pharmacokinetics (PK), intellectual property rights, pharmacovigilence, where candidates are getting recruited.One can also go for higher degrees in research as well as for teaching jobs in academic institutions.