About the Department of Pharmacognosy
In last few decades, there is increasing acceptance and awareness of herbal drugs all over the world. Established in the year 2003 and actively involved in teaching to post graduates students and Ayurvedic /herbal research. In the Department of Pharmacognosy, we carried out experiments on basic concept of morphology, microscopy and physicochemical characteristics of herbal drugs. Department of Pharmacognosy is fully dedicated to provide excellence in education and research through natural products chemistry by exploring the local natural resources as remedies for management of endemic diseases. Laboratory also engaged in extraction, isolation, herbal formulation development, evaluation, and standardization of herbal drugs and Phytopharmaceuticals.
The major objective of the Department of Pharmacognosy is to transmit a naive mode and approach for optimum utilization of plants and herbs as curing diseases and ailments alongside developing novel tactics and techniques to preserve natural flora as well as the key information related to it , which is on the way of extinction. The department also keep the objective of uplifting the medicinal system and social status of farmers and allied workers.
The Pronounced objective of the dept is to make students aware of importance of ethno-medicinal plants and procure a channel to introduce more and more herbs and plants to active medicinal system. Further make students more proficient and skilful to adopt a secure position in any organization simultaneously develop inherent qualities to build up a balanced and rewarding life of pupil.
The long term objective sums in inculcating environment oriented loom in students also to introduce and harbour a societal attitude in students to make their career more pronounced and integrative being inclusive of public welfare priorities.
• Dr. S.J.Surana, Principal and head of Dept. Of Pharmacognosy awarded as Best Principal Award from IPER Pune,
• Best Teacher Award from Govt. of Maharashtra and Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India APTI.
• Dr.A.U.Tatiya Honoured with Best poster at APTI convention at Rajmundry (AP).
• Dr. M.G.Kalaskar awarded Ph.D by NMU.
• High performance thin layer chromatography (Camag Switzerland)
• UV-Vis spectrophotometer (Agilent Technologies, Germany)
• Gas chromatography (Shimadzu,Japan)
• Flash chromatography (Teledyne Isco ,USA)
• HPLC-Analytical and Preparative (Agilent Technologies, Germany)
• Vacuum Rota Evaporator (Medica Instrument MFG. Co)
• Motic digital microscope
Research at a Glance:
Quality research in the herbal drugs is the back bone of Pharmacognosy dept.Faculties are dedicated for herbal research,
Ongoing projects are focused on
• Evaluation, Quality control and Standardization of herbal drugs/extracts
• Herbal formulation development and their evaluation
• Analytical /Bio analytical method development of herbal drugs/Formulations
• Ethno botanical survey, identification/Documentation
The most honourable conclusion of the proficient faculty members and world class facilities is financial grants received from esteemed organizations for various projects. The dept has successfully completed many projects and many are ongoing projects. Its matter of great pride and honour for college as it is one of the key premier location to bag up such huge grants from various Govt. Institutes.
Till today, department received 50 Lakhs financial grants from AICTE and UGC New Delhi.Recently Dr. Anil U Tatiya received grant of Rs.15 lakh from AICTE under Research Promotional Scheme. Faculty of Pharmacognosy also received minor research project grants from UGC and RGST and Vice-chancellor research motivational scheme from NMU Jalgaon.
The dept is highly engaged in research activity and publishing research and review articles in reputed journals. More than 150 scientific publications with good impact factor have been credited to committed faculty of Pharmacognosy.
Books: 5 books published from the faculty of Pharmacognosy namely,
• Text book of Pharmacognosy,
• Herbal cosmeceuticals,
• Pharmacognosy of Traditional drugs, and
• Animal Pharmacognosy of animal drugs.
Consultancy/ Research/Commercial Services at department
Our department provide a broad range of solutions for natural product (NP) isolation and analysis to academic institutions and to pharmaceutical industries. We offer state-of-the-art tools, extensive know-how, and flexible capacity to provide services for analysis, isolation and biological testing of natural products.
We offer the following services:
• Pharmacognostic studies of medicinal plants
• Standardization of crude drug and extract as per pharmacopoeia and WHO guidelines
• Quantification of marker compounds by UV,HPLC, HPTLC
• Microscopic sturdy of herbal drugs by Motic microscope
• In-vitro biological testing such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory etc
• Fractionation /Isolation of phytoconstituent/ extracts using flash chromatography
• Herbal Formulation development
In order to have rationalized view of recent advances in the field it’s very useful to have tie-up with industries. It’s beneficial for both sides as it ensures continuous flow of technically sound, competent and proficient persona. RCPIPER have Tie-up with magnificent industries like Fredun Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Mumbai and Pharmanza Herbals for standardization of herbal formulation.
Department is having a major priority of planting trees in surrounding area. In front of Dept. more than 200 rare plants along with different species of Tulsi are upright to cleanse the air.
Annually an exhibition is organised for students to understand the fundamental alertness to identify plants, classification of plant species, its medicinal uses and conventional methods to utilize plants.
Birthday celebration of eminent faculty members is familiar ritual.
Frequently dept.organizes industrial cum educational tour at well-known places. Recently we have visited Herbal extraction plant of Sami labs Bangalore and FRLHT, (NGO) for conservation of Medicinal plants at Bangalore.
• The 6 students completed PhD from the department; and enrolled 5 more PhD scholars and has received about 0.50 crore of grants from various funding agencies.
• Best infrastructure facilities available.
• It involved in collaborative research within and outside the institutes for research in natural products.
Department is highly active and organized in placing the students at reputed and major organisations in the pharma field. Dr. A.U.Tatiya being the head of Training and Placement office has vast experience of shaping and moulding the students as per requirement of industries and makes them excellent choice. He had successfully organized a mega event of congregation of HR managers of reputed industries like Bharat serum, Glenmark, Alkem, Indoco remedies,cadila,Apex,Cipla,Ajanta,Sandoz, Macleods, Pharmaceuticals, It also encompasses the guidelines of these eminent personalities to crack interviews as well as grab the jobs at earliest and lead a successful career ahead. More than 50 M.Pharm students are placed in the national & multinational industries and academia.