About the Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy
To provide state-of-the-art research facilities and a friendly learning ambience to the budding health professionals.
Since its inception in 2003, the department of Pharmacology has flourished into a centre of excellence in the academic activities. Till date, more than 150 students have completed post-graduation from this department. All the alumni of this department are successfully pursuing their careers in Pharma industry, government jobs and academia. The department has well experienced staff of 2 professors, 2 associate Professors and 6 assistant professors. Three of these faculty members are approved PhD guides and are actively involved in the Pharmacological research and have substantially contributed to the advancement of the Pharmacological sciences in the form of more than 50 research publications, novel teaching aids, alternatives to animal use, and 2 patents.
The departmental staff has received more than 1.5 Crore rupees research grant from different national and international funding agencies.
The department is well equipped with ultramodern research facilities. It includes cell culture laboratory (Class 10000 aseptic area), biosafety cabinet, CO2 incubator, Microplate spectrophotometer, inverted fluorescence microscope, cooling centrifuge), CNS pharmacology laboratory (AnyMaze video tracking system, Stereotaxy apparatus, complete setup for immunohistochemistry, digital miscroscopy system), Autacoid Pharmacology laboratory (Digital Plethysmometer, Digital Von-Frey Apparatus for tactile allodynia measurement), CVS screening laboratory (Powerlab Data acquisition system), Respiratory Pharmacology laboratory (Hugo-Sacch Whole Body plethysmography), isolated tissue setup (I-Worx digital data acquisition system) and a CPCSEA registered animal house facility.
The department is regularly undertaking full-fledged drug screening activities of different pharmacological classes of drugs including anticancer, anti-inflammatory, cardio-protective, anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive agents. The current focus of the research activities is elucidation of molecular mechanisms of these classes of drugs.
Research grants received from different funding agency
• Effect of a polyherbal formulation on the reproductive system sponsored by the Tulip Laboratory Ltd, Pune. Cost: 1.68 Lakh’s INR
• Wound healing activity of an injectable formulation in the excision and incision wound models in rats sponsored by the Advanced Enzymes India ltd., Thane. Cost: 80,000 INR
• Wound healing activity of a topical BTC-Bioclay formulation sponsored by the Austin Research Laboratories, USA. Cost: 5.0 Lakh’s INR
• Photoprotective effects of bacterial proteases on experimental animals. Sponsored by the Pharmaceutical Technology Department of the North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon. Cost: 50,000 INR
More than 100 research papers are published in national and international peer reviewed journals
• Have Succesfully pursued higher education overseas
• 75% have secured high profile jobs in pharmaceutical industries- Indian and Overseas
• Around 20% are serving as dedicated academicians
• We also have successful entrepreneurs as our alumni
Our Staff: Recipient of many prizes and accolades including:
• Prestigious O. D. Gulati Award for “BEST CARDIAC RESEARCH IN INDIA”
• DST- Young Scientist Scheme
• Best poster awards at the 6th and 7th World Congresses on alternatives to animals at Tokyo and Rome
• Career award for young teacher (AICTE, New Delhi)
• Women Scientist Award (DST, New Delhi)
• Multiples research grants offered from varies funding agencies like- DST, DBT, ICMR, AICTE, UGC, AYUSH
• Institutional Human Ethical Committee from CDSCO
• Institutional Animal Ethical Committee from CPCSEA
• Three of our staff members are government approved CPCSEA nominees
• An online simulated softwares published by Reed-Elsevier Pvt. Ltd. www.animalsimulator.com
• Faculty membaers are routine resources at nation-wide conferences and seminars.
• Dr. Chanakya Nath Kundu, KIIT, School of Biotechnology, Campus XI,Patia, Bhubaneswar- 751024. Odisha, INDIA.
• Dr. D. S. Arya, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi – 110029
• Dr. Shreesh Ojha, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics College of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, Al-Ain, United Arab Emirates
• Dr. S.L.Hoti,Regional Medical Research Centre, Nehru nagar, National highway no. 4, Belagavi - 590010